Arthur Wesley (A.W.) Parker was born and raised in Houston, Texas. He made an extraordinary impact on the Teamster community during a time when segregation still existed. Mr. Parker became the first African American to hold a primary office at a Teamsters Local Union in the South. He has has held the titles of: Business Agent, Joint Council 58 President, Texas Conference of Teamsters President, General Organizer for the Southern Conference, and International Representative for IBT. Mr. Parker has dedicated his life to the International Brotherhood of Teamsters and helping workers make their voices heard.
- Be enrolled or intending to enroll in an accredited two- or four-year institution, vocational, or trade school for the 2023-2024 academic year.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.8 or higher
- Must be a current active member, child or legal dependent of a current active member of Teamsters Local 988, paid through the month prior to date of application submission.
- A complete application form
- Unofficial high school (or college) transcript
- 500-word personal statement
Personal Statement Topic(s):
- 500-word personal statement on the recent resurgence of public support for labor unions, and what that might mean, both for your own career and for other young people preparing to enter the workforce.
2021 Scholarship Winners:
(Pictured below: Kyle Lemke, Aaliyah LeDay, Sebastian Patterson, Jalyn Moreno, and Adan Hernandez)
2022 Scholarship Winners:
(Pictured below: Marcella Carpenter, Rayven Chatham, Kyle Lemke, Kailea Oliver, Ashley Price, and Jayden Tanton)